Tuesday 2 October 2012

Anthropology of Gamers Through Reading Threads About Girls

One day, I plan to write an academic paper categorising RPG nerds into separate categories based on their responses to threads about "Girls and Gaming".

We'll start with this one.

The Earnest Worrier
This topic evolved from a conversation with a woman in my gaming group, who obviously games, and with my wife, who doesn't. The gamer girl population increases every year. In many avenues, females can actually outnumber males. While this is good news, the bad news is how little this is actually changing the games themselves. At a BlizzCon panel discussion an female querist was booed for suggesting that maybe the female characters should be able to wear clothes.  
But the problem goes way deeper than that. Even within RPGs where female gamers are not only accepted but delightfully encouraged, the roles they prefer are often within healer, support, or diplomatic archetypes (again, major generalization, but largely true nonetheless). Wish fulfillment seems to be the more desired form of escapism as opposed to power fantasy or strategic simulation.
This gamer likes girls. And he's a nice guy. Look - he's even married! That proves that he likes girls and is a nice guy! Being a nice guy, he is concerned about what we, as earnest, concerned, nice guys, can do to make gaming a friendlier place for girls to be. To further boost his nice guy credentials, he describes fretting about a poor female querist being booed by horrid chauvinists - his brow, it was furrowed; his arms, they were folded; his head, it was shaken; the tuts, they were tutted. "What can we do," he asked himself, "to make female gamers more delightfully encouraged?"

[I googled "querist". Apparently it's somebody who "makes inquiries".]

No Seriously, Some of My Best Friends Are Women
Monsterhearts is another good example or a game that has evolved far outside the war-game vein; there is /violence/, but not /combat/. It also handles emotion and melodrama VERY well. And it appeals to a bunch of fringe-gamer and even non-gamer women I know. 
Typically it's methodical step-by-step combat that turns off the women gamers I know, not the violence itself. When it comes time to get dirty/bloody the female gamers I know are willing to go to levels the guys are sometimes surprised at. Honestly the step-by-step combat thing turns off a lot of new-to-the-hobby guys too; it's really the people who grew up with it that seem to like it.
"The women I know. Keep saying it, and it becomes true. I know some women."

God, My Girlfriend is One Lucky Lady Being in a Relationship With Somebody Who Does Not Assume Things
Anecdote time!
My girlfriend hates "story games bullshit" where we "talk about feelings" and would rather move her dragonborn barbarian 5 squares at a time towards the bloodiest, most granular rules-heavy combat she can find.
Non-ladies should not assume what all ladies like.
[What I know about women you could fit on the back of a postage stamp, but it includes the following: women don't think you're clever or funny if you use the phrase "Anecdote time!"]

Mr Maturity
[N]o group is homogeneous. There are big group of gamers and potential gamers out there that don't like traditional war-gamey games; this group includes both guys (me included) and gals. There is a group of female gamers that feel disfranchised by modern trad games. THESE GROUPS OVERLAP. Stereotypes can be bad, If you refuse to make ANY assumptions about groups (because we are all beautiful and unique snowflakes) you lose the ability to make any decisions about a market.
"God, I'm so mature and sensible it sometimes physically hurts," says Mr Maturity, wincing to prove it as he dispenses another gem of wisdom which nobody has ever even come close to considering before: you can't generalise, silly generaliser! A few weeks of business studies classes at college taught him more than anybody else could ever know about making decisions about markets; it also taught him to use ALL CAPS to make his points clear, succinct, and hard-hitting.

The Marxian
Can I just point out that there's a bit of irony present when hobbies (computer games and RPGs) that, 20 years ago, were viewed as bastions of sad outsider antisocial nerd culture have become socially acceptable to the point where they now represent an element of dominant culture and oppression.
"RPGs are just an outgrowth of masculine bourgeois ideologies, as Althusser would say," the Marxian begins. "Perhaps we should commence our analysis with the realisation that the species-being is only partially a biological construct?"

The Japanese Call this the "Herbivorous Male"
It also stands to reason that there are plenty of males out there that are into more emotional, non-combat oriented games. In my last game of World of Shadows, the two male players didn't fight anyone, despite constant opportunities to bust heads and shoot people. They were most interested in following their character's desires and daily lives. There was action, but no combat.
"They then removed their own testicles, because they no longer needed them."

If Only Everybody Was Norwegian
Those andogynic gender premises exists. We don't need to treat it as a hypothetical question. Lets look at the roleplaying game "markets" or game cultures that got a 50/50 gender mix. Like Larping in the Nordic countries. Hence, my example of Nordic larp. Therw ARE game markets that where the designers, and the costumer have a 50/50 gender balance. It not some hypothetical question. 
Look at the RPG cultures that already exists that have even gender balances. 

That's enough gamer anthropology through reading threads about girl gamers.

32 comments:

  1. I'm changing the name of my blog to 'Anecdote time!'

    I am also introducing every anecdote I tell with the same words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Now you're reminding me of that comic.

      Delete
    2. The alt-text clearly explains that said line expires after one use per conversation.

      Delete
  3. So what are your experiences and opinions on female gamers? And are you going to make sarcastic comments about yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't speak on this in any way. It can only lead to woe.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. The point of this post is that reading threads in which men offer experiences and opinions on female gamers makes me want to crawl into the nearest bin and die from embarrassment for my sex - so why would I want to do that?

      The sarcastic comments about myself are already in there.

      Delete
  4. [Im so darn clever and in touch with the female gender that I see right through all these other pathetic losers who think they know half as much about women as I do]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I know all there is to know about women my good man and this is what I know...I know nothing about women."

      Delete
    2. I guess you missed the postage stamp line. Nice try though. I also refer you to my esteemed colleague Barking Alien.

      Delete
  5. I think you misrepresent, Mr. Noisms. Anyone launching off with an Althusser reference would be more oblique: "As every child knows, every RPGs are just an outgrowth of masculine bourgeois ideologies."

    ReplyDelete
  6. The important thing is that in a million years, when the brain-worms of Arcturus IX have annihilated us throughout the galaxy, there will be no surviving recordings of blogs to be found by the cephalopods that evolve to replace us. In this way will their civilization advance and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they'll be hermaphrodites so we can be spared yet another goddamn forum thread about "How to get more girls into the hobby".

      Delete
  7. Mining S-G for ridiculousness is such low-hanging fruit. Like running a sitcom clip show

    I will only do this once a year I will only do this once a year I will only do this once a year I will only do this once a year I will only do this...

    Oh also, Monsterhearts' author is one of the ninja-interview recommenders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, it's not just Story Games. I think it may be a law of the universe that somebody will start a thread like this on rpg.net at least once a month or the internet will implode.

      Delete
    2. It's true. I guess S-G always seems weirder to me because the people who say these things have names and faces and make games that people pay money for.

      Delete
    3. God yes, rpgnet, when that many people reveal their weird opinions, it sort of gets into a roll. It doesn't matter that people have shared those opinions last week or last month, but the same ideas come out again and get barely any further.

      It's like a vast contingent of people just want to comment what they think, like there's some kind of commentary based democracy going on, without actually considering what anyone else thinks.

      Delete
    4. I have just been overpowered by a strong smell of irony. It may take me a little while to find out where it is coming from.

      Delete
  8. I like how when Somethingawful digs through various gaming forums it's shallow and pathetic, but when it's someone Zak S likes it's brilliant and he's totally not stealing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know what Somethingawful is, to be honest with you.

      Delete
  9. Herbivorous Male: There was action, but no combat.

    In other words the campaign consisted of fleeing from one encounter to another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only winning move is not to play.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So basically, "Why can't women be more like men?" "Why can't men be more like women?" and "Why can't women and men both be more like autistic robots?"

    Authentication word: crorses, which I swear is what they rode instead of horses in the Barbarian Planet paperback series (1968-1982).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much. At the last count people had been debating the first two questions for 1.5 million years; hopefully the RPG geeks will let the rest of us know once they've arrived at an answer.

      Delete
    2. That made me chuckle..."Why can't men and women both be more like autistic robots..."

      When these debates happen, it is a clear sign that the author hasn't been turning on television or walking outside enough to engage normal people in conversation.

      Delete
  12. Where's the "I don't let girls play in my game" guy? Do they not have blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't stick their heads above the parapet at places like story-games, I would imagine.

      Delete
    2. Ah, right. They seem pretty common on therpgsite and (at least previously) on en world, though.

      Is it just that guys like talking about girls? Some of these posts seem like peacock-display behaviour aimed at teh girlz, but I don't think that's the only reason. I think most of it may be status seeking amongst the peer group itself. I know I've been sucked into those 'female gamer' threads myself, where we (male gamers) attempt to prove we're socially normal human beings (hah!) >:) by talking about all the womem we game with, or alternatively by talking about how we don't let our women play our Manly Men's Game.

      Delete
    3. Peacock-display behaviour is exactly right. It's amusing to me to watch men doing classically 'male' behaviour - showing off - in a context of trying to prove how sensitive and new-mannish they are.

      Delete